The Glow Foundation
I have worked in community outreach in various capacities since 1994.
I started with workshops offered at local community centers focused on building self-esteem through model training, beauty pageant coaching and artistic self-esteem building exercises.
The community center work led to partnering with a local non-profit organization focused on school aged girls. I founded Melio DC and offered additional workshops to UWP a non-profit org in DC offering workshops in the Reeves Center to young ladies in the NW, DC neighborhoods.
Melio DC led modeling, Etiquette, SEE (self-esteem extreme) and Creative Expression workshops and co-instructed Taratibu (African inspire step dance), aerobics, healthy eating and financial readiness.
These workshops were intended to introduce young ladies to activities to assist with becoming more socially well rounded. The partnership with NPO’s opened doors for Melio to expand to both PG and Montgomery Counties Maryland offering utilitarian workshops to young ladies ages 6 - 18.
ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY OUTREACH INITIATIVES:
- Donating business attire to women shelters for those seeking employment
- Providing resume writing and interview prep to citizens reentering the workforce after experiencing unemployment due to homelessness and/or incarceration
- Food drives to support local feeding centers
- Preparing food and feeding the homeless at tent cities
- Women’s shelter renovation/redecoration
- Photo shoots for seniors
- Prom ticket dress, shoes, hair and makeup purchase drive for high school seniors in need
- Etiquette workshops for teens
Craft workshops for children of families receiving public assistance
- Mentoring groups